Kingdom Death: People of the Sun Miko (work in progress)

I spent my hour today trying to wrap up my Kingdom Death's People of the Sun Miko figure: I've probably got about one more detail session on it before I give up and call it finished.

I'll probably lighten up the tunic, do a little dry brushing on the metallic and wooden bits and bring some of the reds up to a light orange (as a highest highlight) and then call it a day.

Also, in order to switch things up a bit, rather than just posting the front and back shots, I decided to post a front and side shot, since the back of this figure is pretty boring, in terms of detail, etc.

I've also added a couple behind-the-scenes type bonus shots at the bottom of the post that show a.) how I managed to break the hand off of the figure while I was painting it and b.) a part of the figure that I accidentally ruined by painting over some cotton swab fibers.

Breaking a piece off of a figure while you're working on it is always a nightmare scenario, but in this case it was a fairly clean break and I didn't have a ton of nearby parts with wet paint.

(The real nightmare nightmare scenario is when you snap a piece off of an area that's totally soaked in shader or glaze. Compared to that, this wasn't really that hard to recover from at all.)

As far as the cotton swab fibers, that was an unforced error: dabbing a figure with a cotton swab is something you should never do, but I let some shader get away from me and I panicked and...yeah, I'm still pretty upset about it.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

Kingdom Death: People of the Sun Miko (work in progress)



Kingdom Death: People of the Sun Miko (work in progress)


OK, as promised, here's the blooper reel.

First, the broken hand:

Kingdom Death: People of the Sun Miko (work in progress; broken hand close-up)


Second, notice the figure's right hip (her right, not yours).

It's got these weird little lines in it:


Kingdom Death: People of the Sun Miko (work in progress; cotton swab fibers)


Here's an extreme close-up of those lines, which are actually cotton fibers that I painted over and thus permanently incorporated into the figure, ruining that part irreparably:




Whatever you do, don't dab your figures with cotton swabs!