New lightbox setup!

I decided to take a couple of days off of working on miniatures to give my wrist a rest and solve my light box problem once and for good.

Here's the final outcome:

The Others: Avatar of Pride (finished; macro; lightbox)


For reference, here's an A/B of this setup versus my last production setup:

Lightbox A/B: old on the left, new on the right


There's a lot that went into this, and I might write a full-length topical post about it one day, but the tl;dr is that three things made the difference:


  • Using LEDs that I could set to the correct temperature (i.e. kelvins, which ended up being about 5500-6000).
  • Using a reflective surface on the inside "walls" of the box.
  • Lighting from above the figure in three places:
    • in front
    • directly overhead
    • from the rear of the box
  • Settling on some good camera settings:
    • exposure time of (around) 1/200
    • aperture of f/3.5
    • brightness of ISO-100 
That, in a nutshell is the difference between the old set up (left above) and the new (right above).

Anyway, I'll be getting back to the Rising Sun Fire Dragon tomorrow. Thanks for looking!